The Art of Translating Tibetan: Trailer
The Art of Translating Tibetan, a free Masterclass with Thupten Jinpa
We at Wisdom are thrilled that we’ll soon be offering a new way for translators and practitioners alike to discover the rich world of translation in a new, free Masterclass with Thupten Jinpa: The Art of Translating Tibetan, produced in partnership with Tsadra Foundation.
The class is available to anyone with a free, Plus, or All-Access membership in the Wisdom Experience, our new membership platform. If you’ve already joined, you can access lesson 1 of the Masterclass now—click here to start! You’ll need to be logged in to access the Masterclass. If you don’t have an account yet, you can still go to the lesson 1 page and then just quickly join via the form you’ll see on that page.
In this class, you’ll get, for free, 15+ hours of direct teaching from one of the most renowned translators, interpreters, and thinkers in the Tibetan world—Thupten Jinpa, who has worked for years as His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s principal English interpreter.
Thupten Jinpa has never done anything like this before—this is a rare opportunity to see “behind the scenes” and get a glimpse into one of the greatest minds in the Buddhist world.
You don’t have to be a translator to take this class. What Jinpa shares will be deeply enriching for practitioners, too. Knowing the subtleties of the Tibetan words you’ve heard countless times will open up a whole new level of understanding to you. Jinpa shares many key Dharma insights as he guides you through the world of translation.
Jinpa will speak to you directly on:
- His own translation process that he’s developed and honed over the last 30 years, including his favorite tactics and resources
- What his process is when interpreting for His Holiness
- Key principles that can help guide any translator
- The matter of translating restricted texts
- How to translate terms related to meditation
- How to approach different genres of Tibetan texts
- How to translate verse and poetry
- And perhaps most important, how you can “get out of the way,” lose yourself, and let the original author speak through you, to the best of your ability.
We hope you’ll take advantage of this priceless—and free!—opportunity. See you in the Masterclass!