The Vajra Essence, Part 2
A self-paced online retreat with Lama Alan Wallace
Receive advanced teachings on Dzogchen from renowned teacher Lama Alan Wallace in this self-paced retreat, produced in partnership with the Santa Barbara Institute for Consciousness Studies.
This retreat focuses on Dudjom Lingpa’s famous text, The Vajra Essence: From the Matrix of Pure Appearances and Primordial Consciousness, a Self-Emergent Tantra of the Nature of Existence.
Included in your retreat
• 105 teaching videos from Lama Alan Wallace and Glen Svensson
• Lama Alan’s teaching notes
• 13 readings
• A discussion forum
To honor the sacred lineage of these teachings, I do ask that anyone who registers for this retreat listen to my oral commentary to The Vajra Essence in its entirety, though you may take as much time as you wish to do so.
—Lama Alan Wallace
Due to the nature of the teachings, the content of this retreat is available only to students who have met a certain number of requirements. These requirements are:
1. Having received some Vajrayana empowerment (if you have not, Lama Alan recommends this empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche which can be taken online: Empowerment video and Sadhana link). Applicants may also receive the Lake-Born Vajra empowerment from Lama Alan.
2. Having listened to the teachings of the Vajra Essence, part 1, either through the Wisdom or SBI audio.
3. Out of reverence for the integrity of this lineage, being committed to receiving from Lama Alan the remainder of the oral transmission and commentary of The Vajra Essence. The transmission must be complete. It cannot yet be determined how many more eight-week retreats it will take to complete the text, but we expect it to be three or four.
Regarding the restricted nature of the content, Lama Alan also provides the following guidance: while completion of the five sets of 100,000 recitations of preliminary practices will not be required to participate in these retreats, applicants should have established a sound basis in understanding and practice of the foundations of Buddhism, including śamatha, the four applications of mindfulness, the four immeasurables, and relative and ultimate bodhicitta.
Important: by clicking the link or button to enroll, you confirm that the following statements are true for you: that you (1) have received some Vajrayana empowerment; (2) have listened to the teachings of the Vajra Essence, part 1, either through the Wisdom or SBI audio; and (3) out of reverence for the integrity of this lineage, commit to receiving from Lama Alan the remainder of the oral transmission and commentary of The Vajra Essence.
Don’t miss the welcome email!
If you enroll in this retreat, you’ll receive a welcome email after you’ve completed the enrollment process that includes important information, including a link to access the retreat videos. If you can’t find this email after enrolling, please check your spam and trash folders. If you still can’t find it, please contact us via our contact page.
This retreat is the first in our series of online retreats with Lama Alan Wallace on The Vajra Essence. Click here to learn more about the series. The Vajra Essence, Part 2 was originally offered in April – May 2021.