Karma Trinlay Rinpoche: Life as a Tulku (#144)
This episode of the Wisdom Podcast, recorded live as a Wisdom Dharma Chat, features Karma Trinlay Rinpoche, a highly accomplished Buddhist teacher and meditation master. Born in 1975 to an American mother and French Father, and recognized by His Holiness the 16th Karmapa, Rinpoche is the first reincarnated Westerner of French and American origin to be recognized in the Karma Kagyu tradition of Vajrayāna Buddhism. In 1978 he started the traditional training of tulkus under the guidance of the Venerable Kalu Rinpoche in India. A charismatic speaker, Rinpoche is respected for his lucid mind and diligence in both study and practice. He has taught in Buddhist centers and universities throughout the world.
Throughout this podcast, Rinpoche and Daniel discuss:
- Rinpoche’s family and identification as a tulku;
- meeting H.H. the 16th Karmapa and the foundations of H.H.’s Dharma community in Europe;
- growing up under the direct guidance of Kalu Rinpoche;
- an overview and personal perspectives of the tulku institution;
- Rinpoche’s simultaneous Buddhist and Western education in the French Alps;
- and much more.
Remember to subscribe to the Wisdom Podcast for more great conversations on Buddhism, meditation, and mindfulness. And please give us a 5-star rating in Apple Podcasts if you enjoy our show—it’s a great support to us and it helps other people find the podcast. Thank you!
About the Interviewee
A highly accomplished Buddhist teacher and meditation master, Rinpoche is the first reincarnated Westerner of French and American origin to be recognized in the Karma Kagyu tradition of Vajrayāna Buddhism.