Thupten Jinpa: Stages of the Path (#180)
This episode of the Wisdom Podcast, recorded live as a Wisdom Dharma Chat features special guest, Thupten Jinpa. Jinpa-la was educated in the classical Tibetan monastic academia and received the highest academic degree of Geshe Lharam (equivalent to a doctorate in divinity). He also holds a BA in philosophy and a PhD in religious studies, both from the University of Cambridge, England. Since 1985, he has been the principal translator to the Dalai Lama, accompanying him to the United States, Canada, and Europe. Jinpa-la is currently the president and the editor-in-chief of the Institute of Tibetan Classics, a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to translating key Tibetan classics into contemporary languages. He also currently chairs the Mind and Life Institute and the Compassion Institute.
During this episode host, Daniel Aitken, and Jinpa-la discuss:
- his latest translation work in the Library of Tibetan Classics series, Stages of the Path and the Oral Transmission;
- how he chose to structure Stages of the Path and the Oral Transmission;
- the evolution of modern Western language and its impact on translation;
- the list of 51 mental factors and the commonly misunderstood factors;
- his Wisdom Academy course, How the Mind Works;
- how to raise joy in your daily life; and
- much more!
Remember to subscribe to the Wisdom Podcast for more great conversations on Buddhism, meditation, and mindfulness. And please give us a 5-star rating in Apple Podcasts if you enjoy our show—it’s a great support to us and helps other people find the podcast. Thank you!